American Express is partnering with Microsoft to deliver merchant offers to Amex cardholders in exchange for accomplishments achieved while playing the video game Halo 4, which is available Nov. 6. This feature leverages Amex’s Card Sync technolgoy, which links deals to a consumer’s payment card.
Leslie Berland, SVP, digital partnerships and development, AmEx, says the X-Box partnersip, brings “a new level of value and engagement for cardmembers that is meaningful to our merchant partners and a significant development in interactive entertainment”.
A BrandChannel.com article provides some of the available offers:
- “Operation Completion” Complete a Spartan Ops Mission on any difficulty:
- US Cardmembers unlock a Best Buy offer (Spend $100, Get $50)
- UK Cardmembers unlock a Currys PC World offer (Spend £50, Get £25)
- “Wake Up John” Complete the campaign on normal or harder:
- US Cardmembers unlock a $25 statement credit
- UK Cardmembers unlock a £25 statement credit
Issuers should take note of the partnership because it exemplifies the creativity of modern reward programs. Banks aren’t limited to their own channels to deliver rewards and merchant offers. Unique partnerships like this one between Amex and Microsoft are a useful way to connect with cardholders on a personal level.