Sam’s Club, a leading affiliate warehouse club, Synchrony, a leading consumer financial services company, and Mastercard, a global payments industry technology company, today announced a new Sam’s Club Mastercard rewards program that provides cardholders with additional value, from expanded rewards to digital improvements. For all Sam’s Club Plus members, the card program is an essential tool that helps to maximize savings and delivers on the evolving shopping habits of consumers.
On qualifying Sam’s Club transactions, Sam’s Club, Synchrony and Mastercard will give Plus members a total of up to 5 percent back.
Here’s how it works: Plus members earn 3% back on in-club transactions using their Sam’s Club Mastercard; up to 5% earn an extra 2% back from their Plus membership. (It runs and manages each program independently*). That’s more value at Sam’s Club than any other credit card would reliably deliver. There’s no better credit card in the market today for Plus members looking to make their cash go further.
According to the announcement Cardmembers can take advantage of these new benefits and features:
- More value: 3 + 2 = 5: Plus members earn 3% back on eligible purchases when shopping in-club or digitally through Sam’s Club when they use their Sam’s Club Mastercard and another 2% back from their Plus membership, for a total of up to 5% rewards on eligible purchases.
- Savings: For everyday eligible purchases, the credit card offers an industry leading 5% cash back on fuel anywhere (up to $6,000), 3% cash back on dining and takeout, and 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
- Less contact: As consumers look for ways to transact without touching cash, cards, or keypads, Synchrony has enabled Sam’s Club with contact-free technology, including the integration of payments capabilities into Sam’s Club Scan & Go patented solution, both in-club and at the pump.
- Mobile first: Sam’s Club cardholders can easily make purchases, track spending, check and pay balances, and securely manage and freeze accounts via the Sam’s Club mobile app enabled by the Synchrony plug-in (‘SyPi’).
- Digitized rewards: No more paper checks! Rewards are automatically loaded onto membership cards and can be used for future purchases made both online and in club, or exchanged for cash back.
- Applying made easy: Members can apply for the Sam’s Club Mastercard in club and via digital channels including the member service desk, at the point of sale (including Scan & Go), the Sam’s Club mobile app, SamsClub.com, via text message, and self-checkout enabled with Synchrony’s patent-pending dApply technology, API’s, and the Synchrony plug-in (‘SyPi’).
“We are always looking for ways to give our members a better experience, including ways to help them save money and earn rewards. This new Sam’s Club Mastercard rewards program builds upon Sam’s Club as an essential business during the pandemic where we saw sales increasing by millions of transactions per week. Now more than ever, our members need savings. They now have a new tool in their toolkit to make their money go further,” said Tony Rogers, senior vice president and chief member officer, Sam’s Club.
“The new Sam’s Club Mastercard rewards program is for members who want to make the most out of every club visit – just by buying things they need to purchase every day,” said Tom Quindlen, executive vice president and CEO of Retail Card, Synchrony. “Our nearly three-decade relationship rooted in co-innovation, continues to help provide cardholders with the benefits they deserve and the products they need.”
“Mastercard believes in putting the customer at the center and helping them find the most value in the products and services they use every day,” said Kush Saxena, executive vice president, U.S. Merchants and Acceptance, Mastercard. “The Sam’s Club Mastercard rewards program provides a competitive value proposition, unlocking the expanded benefits and instant savings consumers deserve on their everyday spend needs.”
Every February, cardholders can access rewards digitally. The rewards can be earned as cash back and can be used in the U.S. or online at any Sam’s Club.
New benefits for cardholders take effect Jan. 27, 2021. In March 2021, the latest credit card design will become available.
Covid-19 has played a very interesting role in the effect of consumers attitude towards credit card rewards as point out by a recent episode of Truth In Data however, Sam’s Club and wholesale merchants were see to gain market share and consumer spend as highlighted by Facteus within their FIRST reports that can be accessed here.