Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower left corner of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for this episode of Truth In Data provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s report – The State of Debit Card Fraud
- 70% of card not present fraud is carried by Merchants
- 27% of card not present fraud is carried by card issuers
- 3% of card not present fraud gets eaten by the cardholder themselves
- 3DS2 is designed to move liability off of merchants and onto issuers. Currently, 43% of merchants have adopted 3DS
- 14% of merchants are planning on using 3DS version 2
- Concerns about the problems that occurred with 3DSv1, lack of understanding, and investment in other fraud tools are holding back some merchants from 3DS2
- Version 1 of 3DS caused consumers to abandon their shopping carts due to friction
About this report
Managing debit card fraud needs a new approach. Debit card fraud since implementation of EMV is well managed despite a barrage of threats, but as the shift in transactions toward card-not-present channels continues and criminal tactics evolve accordingly, fraud prevention takes on a more critical role. Cardholders can be more effectively engaged in the fraud prevention effort if it is viewed as a product relationship service not a back-office function. Keeping debit cardholders safe from fraud protects not just the card but the core relationship.