Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left corner of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s report –U.S. Small Businesses are Reeling as a Result of COVID-19
COVID-19 Sparks a Precipitous Deterioration in Small Business Attitude:
- Revenue growth, steadily projected by ~85% of small business owners 2016-2018, fell to 42% in 2020.
- Likewise, profitability growth fell from 74% in 2019 to 44% in 2020.
- Employment growth, steady around 68% from 2016-2019, fell to 39%.
- Worse yet – the proportion of companies predicting a decline in profitability and revenue increased SEVEN TIMES!
- In 2019, 6% of small business owners predicted profitability declines, compared to 35% in 2020.
- In 2019, 8% of small business owners predicted employment declines, compared to 29% in 2020
Mercator Advisory Group’s new Insight Summary Report, 2020 Small Business PaymentsInsights, COVID-19 and B2B Payments & Cards – The Result of the Pandemic, reveals that U.S. small businesses have a much less positive view of the future than in previous years. The report is the first of three from Mercator’s annual Small Business PaymentsInsights Survey Series, a part of Mercator’s Primary Data Service. It is based on findings from Mercator Advisory Group’s online survey of 2,000 U.S. small businesses fielded in March and April 2020.
The report details the ways COVID-19 has changed small businesses and their outlook on the near-term future of their businesses. The report also provides insight into how small businesses bank and pay for goods and services, their banking relationships, how they view technology and their top business concerns.
“Small businesses have been hit hard by the pandemic. In many ways, more than their larger counterparts. Organizations that service small business have an opportunity to help these firms as they try to come out of the COVID crisis,” states the author of the report, Pete Reville, Director of Primary Data Services including Small Business PaymentsInsights Survey Series at Mercator Advisory Group.