Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower left corner of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for this episode of Truth In Data provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s report – Fiserv and First Data Proposed Merger Shakes U.S. Payments Ecosystem
- Number of Employees: Fiserv: 24,000 First Data: 22,000
- Annual Sales: Fiserv: $5.7 billion (2017) First Data: $12.1 billion (2017)
- Price Per Share: Fiserv: $84.61 (Nasdaq 2/6) First Data: $25.15 (NYSE 2/6)
- Market Cap: Fiserv: $32.4 billion First Data: $23.1 billion
- The remaining six legacy US acquirers: Chase Elevon Fiserv-First Data Global TSYS Worldpay
- Mercator Advisory Group predicts that in the next few years the number of US acquirers will consolidate to three or four
- Its likely that future mergers will follow a similar formula as Fiserv-First Data: Pairing different services serving different markets
About this report
Blockbuster payments pact rings in the new year. A large merger of this size was not unexpected, but the names of the partners turned most heads. Fiserv and First Data have decided the time is right to take bold action and combine their formidable resources in order to fend off competitive threats from emerging upstarts across the payments ecosystem. While this deal will take time to be approved and become operational, we offer some insights into its reasons and how it will impact current payments providers and their merchant clients.