Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left corner of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s report — Square and Clover Delivering Merchant Services Beyond Payment Acceptance
How many small businesses use two payment providers?
- 20% of small businesses use two or more payment providers
- 73% of small businesses use a single payment provider
- Clover & Square together account for 40% of the small business payments acceptance market
- Verifone is the single largest POS Terminal brand by market share (36%)
- In addition to Clover (21% market), First Data’s other models retain 13% of the small business market
- NCR & Micros each account for 12% of small business payments acceptance
- Ingenico, Shopkeep, Diebold, & Revel combine for the remainder
About the report
Small businesses suffer from a lack of expertise, financial services, and capital, leading to a failure rate of close to 50% within five years of start-up, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration. However, the market has been difficult for merchant acquirers to serve, due to price sensitivity, high risk, and a high cost of sales. A new research report from Mercator Advisory Group, Square and Clover Delivering Merchant Services Beyond Payment Acceptance examines the success of Square and Clover as examples of a new approach to serving small businesses using marketplaces that provide choice and flexibility while using commodity hardware.
“Instant onboarding is the sizzle, not the steak. While digitized and fast merchant onboarding looks great, small businesses need to understand the fee schedule and the complete range of solutions and apps that directly apply to their specific operational needs and future growth,” commented Raymond Pucci, Director, Merchant Services, at Mercator Advisory Group, and author of this report.
This report is 16 pages long and has 5 exhibits.
Companies mentioned in this report: Android, Apple, Apptizer, Bank of America Merchant Services, Celtic Bank of Utah, Clover, DoorDash, First Data, Fiserv, Intuit, PayPal, Poynt, Sam’s Club, Square, and Walmart.