Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left corner of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s report – U.S. Small Businesses are Reeling as a Result of COVID-19
Nonprofits, Healthcare, and Financial Services Are Less Likely to Be Adversely Affected by COVID-19:
- COVID’s least impacted sectors: 44% of nonprofits and healthcare, as well as 50% of financial services small businesses, report being negatively impacted by COVID.
- Predictably, restaurant and travel report the highest impact: 75% report negative impact.
- In total, 24% of all small businesses report improved conditions; 17% report no change; 59% report negative impact.
- Business Administration: 27% positively impacted, 24% no change, 61% negatively impacted.
- Retailers: 17% positively impacted, 24% no change, 60% negatively impacted.
- Consumer Services: 22% positively impacted, 15% no change, 64% negatively impacted.
- Manufacturing: 23% positively impacted, 11% no change, 66% negatively impacted.
Mercator Advisory Group’s new Insight Summary Report, 2020 Small Business PaymentsInsights, COVID-19 and B2B Payments & Cards – The Result of the Pandemic, reveals that U.S. small businesses have a much less positive view of the future than in previous years. The report is the first of three from Mercator’s annual Small Business PaymentsInsights Survey Series, a part of Mercator’s Primary Data Service. It is based on findings from Mercator Advisory Group’s online survey of 2,000 U.S. small businesses fielded in March and April 2020.
The report details the ways COVID-19 has changed small businesses and their outlook on the near-term future of their businesses. The report also provides insight into how small businesses bank and pay for goods and services, their banking relationships, how they view technology and their top business concerns.
“Small businesses have been hit hard by the pandemic. In many ways, more than their larger counterparts. Organizations that service small business have an opportunity to help these firms as they try to come out of the COVID crisis,” states the author of the report, Pete Reville, Director of Primary Data Services including Small Business PaymentsInsights Survey Series at Mercator Advisory Group.