Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s Viewpoint: Cryptocurrency Landscape Overview
Other crypto developments: PayPal, cards & CBDCs:
- PayPal currently allows users to buy, sell, and hold cryptocurrencies directly through PayPal using PayPal Cash or Cash Plus accounts
- The conversion from crypto to fiat currency will be handled by PayPal on selection, with merchant settlement managed in fiat
- In cases of unauthorized activity using crypto assets, PayPal will protect the buyer but fluctuations in asset value are carried by the account holder
- Global payments provider i2C is leading in cryptocurrency cards connecting merchant acceptance with card holders through intermediary payments companies.
- Similar to how fiat-to-fiat currency conversions are handled through the card network, crypto card conversions are handled by intermediaries who access the card network merchants and settle in fiat.
- According to the Bank for International Settlements, 80% of central banks are exploring some sort of central bank digital currency initiative
- China is leading the world with central bank digital yuan, but others including Canada, Sweden, and Uruguay are in the race.
About the Report
After the initial hype, and the inevitable slump, cryptocurrencies are once again gaining mainstream attention.
The ecosystem of cryptocurrencies and their various methods of implementation, with new products and services as well as intensified interest on the part of central banks, again moves the blockchain currency to the center of attention.