Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s Viewpoint: Prepaid Mobile Phone Market 2021: Key Trends and Use Cases
The Current International Real-Time Payments Landscape:
- The ecosystem enabling and supporting real-time payments systems has undergone significant growth at the global level.
- Both the number of countries and total volume of transacted value have increased rapidly over the course of 2020.
- Approximately USD 70 billion in real-time payments transaction value was processed globally during 2020.
- This marks an increase of 41% from 2019.
- The majority of transactions were conducted in India and China, the global leaders in the sovereign market faster-payments ecosystem.
The prepaid mobile phone market is marked by intense competition and gradual, sustained growth. Prepaid mobile plans have evolved to incorporate a broad array of compelling features, while remaining more flexible and affordable than postpaid alternatives.
This viewpoint describes the history of the U.S. prepaid mobile phone market, examines key trends within the market, and highlights opportunities within the space.