Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s Report: 2021 Small Business PaymentsInsights: Consumer Purchasing Options
Top Sales Channels Used by Small Businesses:
- Online/web sales are currently in use by 60% of small businesses.
- Physical store locations are currently in use by 45% of small businesses.
- Telephone orders are currently in use by 45% of small businesses.
- Mobile apps are currently in use by 42% of small businesses.
- Mail orders are currently in use by 22% of small businesses.
- Third-party platforms (Grubhub, Amazon, etc.) are currently in use by 20% of small businesses.
Mercator Advisory Group’s most recent Small Business survey report, 2021 Small Business PaymentsInsights: Consumer Purchasing Options, from its annual Small Business PaymentsInsights series, examines not only specific sales channels that consumers use to access small business products and services, but also types of payments accepted and various types of short-term financing options offered to consumers.
The report is based on an online small business survey administered between June 9th and July 16, 2021, across 2,007 U.S. Small Businesses with 2020 annual revenue between $100K and $10 million. The report also provides insight into the perspectives from small businesses on various consumer purchasing options that include BNPL, Cryptocurrency, and essential items such as chargeback prevention tools that help small businesses prosper.
“It’s encouraging and exciting to see that most small businesses have such a positive perspective on alternative payment options, such as Cryptocurrency acceptance. As the payment industry continues to change with the growth of new technologies that impact the industry, it will be very interesting to see how consumer purchasing options evolve over time.” – Amy Dunckelmann, Vice President, Research Operations, Mercator Advisory Group.