Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s Report: 2021 Buyer PaymentsInsights: Speed and Convenience-Driven Shopping
Frequent Shopping is Highest at Retailers Offering Essential Products:
- Grocery stores, gas stations, and “big box” retailers rank at the top of the list for consumers’ most frequent weekly shopping experiences.
- 49% of consumers make purchases at supermarkets/grocery stores at least weekly.
- 28% of consumers make purchases at gas stations at least weekly.
- 25% of consumers make purchases at “big box” retailers (e.g., Walmart, Target) at least weekly.
- 23% of consumers make purchases at fast food restaurants (e.g., McDonald’s Panera Bread, Chipotle) at least weekly.
- 19% of consumers make purchases at convenience stores at least weekly.
Mercator Advisory Group’s most recent consumer survey report, 2021 Buyer PaymentsInsights: Speed and Convenience-Driven Shopping, from its annual Buyer PaymentsInsights series, examines U.S. consumers’ current shopping habits for goods and services both in-store and online.
The report, which is based on an online consumer survey administered to 3,003 U.S adults between May 21 and June 22, 2021, covers the buyer experience and includes questions that explore consumers’ shopping attitudes, preferences of shopping venue, loyalty program membership, the use of mobile phone while shopping, common ways consumers make non-grocery purchases, before, during, and expected after the pandemic, and many more shopping-related subjects. It is important to note, this survey was conducted one year post COVID-19, as the American economy begins to experience a glimmer of hope with vaccination approval and population immunization under way.
Various aspects of how American consumers interact with the payments’ ecosystem are brought together to highlight key trends in consumer behavior, preferences, and motivations, influenced by consumer perceptions and experiences with payment-related issues associated with purchase speed and convenience in a rapidly changing payment environment.
Readers will be presented with a detailed analysis of the impact of demographic characteristics on consumer behaviors and inclinations, general consumer trends, as well as actionable insights for industry players to consider.