Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s Viewpoint: Digital Gaming: Expanding Prepaid Opportunities
More People are Gaming Than Ever Before:
- The growing popularity of digital games is driving gaming revenue.
- In 2021, 227 million U.S. residents—or almost 70% of the total population—engaged in digital gaming.
- This was an increase of 28% from 2019’s 164 million U.S. gamers.
- Those who already play digital games are increasing the amount of time they engage with video, mobile, and online games.
- U.S. gamers spent an average of 14 hours per week playing in 2020, up from 12 hours in 2018.
- 29% of U.S. gamers played for more than 15 hours per week in 2020, up from 23% of gamers in 2018.
The U.S. digital gaming market is booming, spurred by the rise of e-commerce and the realities of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The industry uses a wide variety of monetization strategies, with significant opportunities for prepaid card issuers.
This viewpoint describes revenue streams within the digital gaming industry, key trends in gaming, and prepaid opportunities within the space.