Don’t miss another episode of Truth In Data! Click on the red bell in the lower-left corner of your screen to receive notifications as soon as the episode publishes.
Data for today’s episode is provided by Mercator Advisory Group’s report – Tech Forward Shoppers: A Retailer’s Dream.
Tech forward consumers shop at a broader array of merchants:
- Most consumers report grocery shopping and gas purchases at equal rates
- Tech-forward shoppers dramatically outpace average across verticals like apparel (70% vs. 38%)
- 69% of tech forward consumers buy online services monthly, compared to 42% average
- 71% of tech forward consumers shop at specialty foods monthly, compared to 44% average
- 77% of tech forward consumers shop at convenience stores monthly vs. average (53%)
- 86% of tech forward consumers use online-only retailers, compared to 65% average
- 85% of tech forward consumers visit restaurants monthly compared to 71% average
About this report
Mercator Advisory Group’s latest Primary Data report, Tech Forward Shoppers: A Retailer’s Dream is the based on the company’s 2019 Buyer PaymentsInsight Survey (formerly Customer Merchant Experience Survey). The online survey of 3,000 U.S. adult consumers, which was conducted in March 2019, explores consumers’ merchant experiences as they shop in-store, online, and via mixed channels. The survey was designed with the goal of defining and highlighting consumer expectations for optimal experiences with merchants.
This third report of three on the survey’s findings looks more specifically at the emerging behavior patterns of customers as they shop in-store, online, via mobile. The report’s analysis of the findings offers insights into how consumers shop, how their attitudes toward technology impact their shopping behavior, and how loyalty program membership drives the way they shop.